Teaching Intensive Content With Motivation
Fee for the workshop is $219 per person. Groups of 3 or more is $209 per person.
- Norfolk, VA ~ March 12, 2018 ~ Site Information
- Richmond, VA ~ March 13, 2018 ~ Site Information NEW LOCATION!
- Charleston, SC ~ April 16, 2018 ~ Site Information
- Columbia, SC ~ April 17, 2018 ~ Site Information NEW LOCATION!
About The Seminar:
Ruth Harbin Miles will share Kim Sutton’s passion for the learning of mathematics through joyful experiences using games and other motivational strategies that practice mathematical content so that it is never forgotten! This exciting class is filled with practical games and is designed for teachers of K-5 students using dice and spinners. Participants will receive a manual and tool kit for easy implementation of the games in any classroom situation. The games will incorporate number sense through basic facts, place value, fractions, geometry and algebraic thinking. Students will understand the math content by repeated use of these motivating and exciting games. Ruth Harbin Miles will present these practical games that practice math skills and align to the standards. The game boards and materials are so simple and easy to implement. Special effort will be made to show how all grade levels can use these games. Come prepared to enjoy the songs, dances and games that will change your math classroom into a motivational festival of mathematics.
What You Will Learn:
- 25 NEW games for reinforcing math skills of the standards
- Management strategies for maximizing student time on task
- Place value games with neverending pizzazz!
- Building proportional reasoning with games for the three models of fractions
- Number sense, number sense, number sense!
- A deeper understanding of the standards
- Take the fear out of teaching math and put the fun back in
- Add these words to your math program: fun, games, practice, learn, understand
- Why Games Are Powerful Tools for All Math Concepts! How to Teach Meaningful Math and Use Games to Reinforce the Concepts
- Number Sense Games Using Dice that Develop Strong Understanding of Place Value
- Games for Drill and Practice—New Ideas for Math Fact Fluency
- How to Set Up Games for Differentiation Through Response to Intervention
- Games for Developing Proportional Reasoning! Fractions Made Easy!
- Management Ideas for Making Game Time Fun for All!
- Connecting the Standards to Each Game
- Learn How to Differentiate Games to Accommodate all Learners in your Classroom to use Tomorrow in the Elementary Classroom
About The Speaker:
Ruth Harbin Miles coaches rural, suburban, and inner-city school mathematics teachers. Her professional experiences include coordinating the K-12 Mathematics Teaching and Learning Program for the Olathe, Kansas public schools for more than 25 years; teaching mathematics methods courses at Virginia’s Mary Baldwin College; and serving on the Board of Directors for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics, and the Kansas Association of Teachers of Mathematics. Ruth uses and actively promotes Kim Sutton’s Creative Mathematics ideas and resources to develop teachers’ content knowledge and strategies for engaging students to achieve high standards of mathematics. Come experience an exciting and fun presentation that can help transform math instruction forever!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
- Registration 8:00 am
- Class starts 8:30 am
- No Host Lunch 11:45 am
- Adjourn 3:00 pm
What to Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee & Pastries
- Door Prizes
- Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
1/2 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – details provided at the seminar.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express accepted (US funds only).