Improve Your Mathematical Teaching
Ruth Harbin Miles
Fee for the workshop is $209 per person.
- La Plata, MD ~ April 18, 2017 ~ Site Information
What are the most important tools for teaching mathematics at the elementary level? It is easy to be overwhelmed by all of the commercial products out there. The right “math tools” can be a crucial part of the mathematics curriculum to reinforce problem solving and empower students. If you are looking for a math seminar where you sit in a big room and listen to a lecture on math theory – this isn’t the workshop for you! Kim’s class, Effective Math Tools, is an exciting hands-on workshop where you will build, use and understand amazing “math tools” that will greatly improve your mathematical teaching.
Teachers of grades K-6 will come away with helpful and motivating ideas for every area of the math content: number sense; algebra and functions; measurements and geometry; data analysis and probability; and mathematical reasoning.
Ruth will focus on building correct math language through teaching experiences with the tools of mathematics. Literature links, songs and dances will be used to motivate students to learn intense math content. Teachers will construct many tools like angle makers, circle sizers, mirrors, number chat cards, place value pockets and math dictionaries. These materials include simple instructions for assembling in the classroom by the students.
Throughout this seminar, Ruth will share management strategies for successful use of “math tools” in the elementary classroom. Teachers will come away with new respect and understanding of the tools that are meaningful for students. Come and enjoy a truly wonderful mathematical experience!
What You Will Learn:
- How to construct and use effective “math tools” to greatly improve your teaching.
- Fun games and strategies that help students learn the important content of mathematics.
- Using children’s literature as a critical element for teaching mathematics.
- Important management tips to make these “math tools” efficient and effective.
- Using a “teacher tool kit” and “student tool kit” that builds mathematical understanding and personal responsibility.
- Amazing songs and dances that make math come alive!!
- Empowering students with math dictionaries that teach correct math language.
- Great “visual tools” that support continual learning in your classroom.
- Build and use “math books” for repeated experiences of basic math facts.
- 8:00 a.m. Registration
- 8:30 a.m. Class Starts
- 11:45 a.m. No Host Lunch
- 3:00 p.m. Adjourn
Who Should Attend?
All K-6 Classroom Teachers, Elementary Math Teachers, Resource Specialist Teachers, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, stapler, scotch tape, glue stick, hole punch and camera (optional).
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).