Create a “Live” Mathematics Classroom
Workshop for Grades K-6
Fee for the workshop is $225 (US). Groups of 3 or more is $210 (US) per person.
Lunch is included.
- San Jose, CA ~ February 24, 2015 ~ Site Information
- Sacramento, CA ~ February 25, 2015 ~ Site Information
- Fresno, CA ~ February 26, 2015 ~ Site Information
Creative Mathematics is very excited to be offering classes presented by Marcy Cook. Marcy is one of the top math presenters in the nation and we are thrilled to be offering her classes to you! In this lively and information-packed seminar, for teachers grades K-6, Marcy will share her effective hands-on activities. You will learn how to successfully organize daily math lessons and plan independent task time. A day with Marcy will be a day well spent!
Join Marcy Cook’s class Create a “Live” Mathematics Classroom for an inspirational day filled with innovative hands-on math activities to get your students actively involved with math. She will show you quick and effective daily 5-minute warm-ups to begin your math time. She’ll demonstrate a variety of mental math strategies that develop Reasoning, Number Sense, Computation and Problem-Solving skills. And you’ll learn how to use multi-level activities to reinforce learning during independent task time. Come spend a day with Marcy, a day you’ll never forget!
Make It Count! 5 Minute Math warm ups
- See “hands on” starters which actively engage every student
- Observe questioning techniques that promote divergent mathematical thinking
- Participate in rich number sense activities
- Engage students with estimation and risk taking on a daily basis
- Deal with place value and communication skills simultaneously
- Incorporate mathematical vocabulary into each day’s activities
- Engage in 100 chart activities to reinforce mathematical
Basics At Their Best: Develop Mental Math Skills
- See how to develop a strong math foundation….while having fun!
- Build computation competency without using a pencil
- Incorporate “if…then…” reasoning into your daily routine
- Participate in activities to boost kids number sense and logical thinking skills
- Engage in a variety of mental math activities which focus on communication
- Constantly assess students thinking with the expectation that all participate
Independent Task Time That Meets The Needs of All Kids!
- Learn how to use independent task time to maximize learning
- See how multi-level math activity centers can be used for individual reinforcement and enrichment
- See independent activities focusing on algebraic and geometric thinking
- Extend quality math learning time: practical management tips that make centers work for you without a lot of work from you
What You Will Learn:
- Build math skills with Marcy’s 5-minute warm-ups
- Plan hands-on activities that make math more meaningful
- Present lessons that teach and reinforce addition, subtraction, multiplication & division
- Differentiate your math instruction with multi-level activities
- Use independent task time to reinforce math concepts
- Develop Number Sense for a strong foundation
- Teach your students Strategic Problem-Solving skills
- Use questioning strategies to let kids show what they know
- Build vocabulary and skills using the “100 chart”
- Quickly assess students’ math understanding
- Use math manipulatives as alternatives to drill and practice
Who Should Attend?
All K-6 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee & Pastries, Lunch
- Extensive Resource Handbook
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or recertification.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).