Motivating & Meaningful Activities To Strengthen Your Mathematics Program
Fee for the workshop is $209 per person. Groups of 3 or more $199 per person.
Lunch is included.
- Please check back for updated workshop information.
Do you struggle with motivating elementary students to know their basic facts? The teaching of intensive math content is often hampered by basic fact fluency! There are three steps on the road to fluency with basic facts:
- Teach for understanding with two models for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Teach the computational strategies.
- Practice, Practice, Practice!
Does your classroom have a plan for the five to nine minutes a day for practicing the basic facts? This intensive workshop for teachers K-5 will address how to achieve proficiency with addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and motivate students to feel excited about achieving this goal.
Kim Sutton will share exciting methods to motivate students with whole class and small group instruction. These “ready to go” activities go beyond timed drill. Kim has created special math choice activities for drill and practice in small groups. She will share how to create a “we” approach to learning basic facts. You will learn how to manage “Drills that Thrill” students with organization and management strategies so minutes are not lost in the elementary classroom.
Come experience the motivating style of Kim Sutton as she shares practical strategies that differentiate instruction for math fact fluency!
What You Will Learn:
- How to teach two models for each operation.
- Strategies for the transition from manipulative understanding to fluency of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts.
- Dynamic drills that build mathematical confidence and independence.
- How to use the appropriate “tools” to improve fluency with basic facts.
- Effective use and management of drill and practice activities.
- How to improve the “visual” aspect of your classroom.
- Exciting new games, songs and activities to motivate students to learn their facts.
- How to measure the success of your drill and practice program.
- 8:00 a.m. Registration and Morning Refreshments
- 8:30 a.m. Introducing the Three-Step Process for Math Fact Fluency
- 9:00 a.m. Strategies for the transition from manipulative to fluency for basic facts of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- 9:45 a.m. Exciting games that motivate students to learn their facts
- 10:15 a.m. Break
- 10:30 a.m. “Drill and Practice” songs that help students imprint basic facts for needed fluency
- 11:00 a.m. Using “tools” of drill and practice the right way in the learning of math facts
- 11:45 a.m. Hosted Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. Creating a “Ten Block” cycle for basic fact fluency as a classroom or school wide plan
- 2:00 p.m. Variety of practice opportunities—how to use generic strategies for any operation
- 2:30 p.m. Managing and organizing your drill and practice activities
- 3:00 p.m. Adjourn – Drill Like a Champion!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee & Pastries, Lunch
- Door Prizes
- Tool Kit and Extensive Resource Handbook
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/ licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Creative Mathematics is an approved Texas CPE Provider.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: Either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).