Teaching Intensive Content With Motivation
Fee for the workshop is $219 per person. Groups of 3 or more is $209 per person.
- Laredo, TX ~ November 7, 2017 ~ Site Information
- Corpus Christi, TX ~ November 8, 2017 ~ Site Information
- New Orleans, LA ~ December 5, 2017 ~ Site Information Soon!
- Baton Rouge, LA ~ December 6, 2017 ~ Site Information Soon!
About The Seminar:
Kathy Collins will share Kim Sutton’s passion for the learning of mathematics through joyful experiences using games and other motivational strategies that practice mathematical content so that it is never forgotten! This exciting class is filled with practical games and is designed for teachers of K-5 students using dice and spinners. Participants will receive a manual and tool kit for easy implementation of the games in any classroom situation. The games will incorporate number sense through basic facts, place value, fractions, geometry and algebraic thinking. Students will understand the math content by repeated use of these motivating and exciting games. Kathy Collins will present these practical games that practice math skills and align to the standards. The game boards and materials are so simple and easy to implement. Special effort will be made to show how all grade levels can use these games. Come prepared to enjoy the songs, dances and games that will change your math classroom into a motivational festival of mathematics.
What You Will Learn:
- 25 NEW games for reinforcing math skills of the standards
- Management strategies for maximizing student time on task
- Place value games with neverending pizzazz!
- Building proportional reasoning with games for the three models of fractions
- Number sense, number sense, number sense!
- A deeper understanding of the standards
- Take the fear out of teaching math and put the fun back in
- Add these words to your math program: fun, games, practice, learn, understand
- Why Games Are Powerful Tools for All Math Concepts! How to Teach Meaningful Math and Use Games to Reinforce the Concepts
- Number Sense Games Using Dice that Develop Strong Understanding of Place Value
- Games for Drill and Practice—New Ideas for Math Fact Fluency
- How to Set Up Games for Differentiation Through Response to Intervention
- Games for Developing Proportional Reasoning! Fractions Made Easy!
- Management Ideas for Making Game Time Fun for All!
- Connecting the Standards to Each Game
- Learn How to Differentiate Games to Accommodate all Learners in your Classroom to use Tomorrow in the Elementary Classroom
About The Speaker:
Kathy Collins is a dedicated Kim Sutton advocate of almost 10 years. Kathy has 23 years experience as an elementary classroom math teacher of students possessing a wide range of academic abilities. For the past 8 years she has served as a District Math Coach and Math Specialist for many Title 1 campuses in one of the largest school districts in Texas. In addition to implementing Kim Sutton materials and activities in the classroom, Kathy has presented numerous math workshops at district and state conferences. Kathy has a passion for conducting energetic workshops and presentations for teachers. Her dedication and enthusiasm for math instruction is contagious. Kathy’s professional mission is to help teachers and students experience the joy and success that energized math activities can bring to the classroom.
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
- Registration 8:00 am
- Class starts 8:30 am
- No Host Lunch 11:45 am
- Adjourn 3:00 pm
What to Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee & Pastries
- Door prizes
- Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
1/2 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – details provided at the seminar. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or re-certification requirements. Creative Mathematics is an approved Texas CPE provider.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express accepted (US funds only).