Every Teacher’s Responsibility
Fee for the workshop is $219 per person. Groups of 3 or more is $209 per person.
- Austin, TX ~ March 2, 2018 ~ Site Information
About the Seminar:
Educators across the country face a common concern, “We do not have a plan for math fact fluency.” This exciting NEW Kim Sutton class, for grades K-5, will focus on the all-important goal of math fact fluency set by the Common Core, state and provincial standards. Kim Sutton Associate, Julie Wofford, will discuss the long-standing need for math fact fluency and address content in an amazing day of instruction.
Basic facts are the tools for meaningful mathematics and Julie will share strategies for achieving math fact fluency through song, dance, literature, games and other practice tools! In this class, participants will experience powerful models for all four operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Through these models, participants can focus on teaching with more depth for higher levels of thinking. In other words, how teaching for understanding gives students the ability to perform more complex computation.
Julie will share designing intensive practice schedules using computational strategies for fluency with math facts. Participants will leave with constructed tools to use in the classroom along with a complete manual of ideas to maximize the experience of practice with math facts.
About the Speaker:
Julie Wofford is a master teacher, instructional coach and motivator for teachers and students. She has over 20 years of experience in the education field and taught in some of the most challenging situations. Julie has a master’s degree in curriculum instruction and has presented many workshops on classroom management and how to make math exciting for both teachers and students. She is currently a Math Coach and is thrilled to be working with Kim Sutton Associates. Julie is excited to present to teachers the math materials created by Kim Sutton to move classrooms from good at math to AWESOME at meaningful math concepts. Her interactive, hands-on and creative activities will leave teachers with ideas, strategies and tools to use in the classroom immediately.
What You Will Learn:
- Which models for each of the four operations are most important
- Which computational strategies for what grade levels
- Simple student-constructed tools that can be used for all strategies
- How to use three generic games with hundreds of possibilities
- New Ron Brown music that will have us dancing in the classroom
- How to be effective with choral chanting! What does that look like in today’s classroom?
- Make It games and work stations like you have never seen before!
- How to affect long term retention of the facts using working memory
- Check in and get busy! There will be a “make it” projects to do before each class starts!
- Let’s build powerful models for developing understanding of the four operations! These models will show how deep students can go mathematically! If they build it, the mathematics will be understood.
- Tapping into important computational strategies for each operation! Which grade levels are responsible for which computational strategies? That question will be answered!
- How to set up the important daily block of time! Let’s use a powerful graphic organizer for a ten-day cycle of practice!
- Let’s follow a ten-day cycle of practice in the classroom! We made the map and let’s get to the destination! The motivation is in place!
- Choral chanting for fact practice!
- More practice ideas that are easy to implement tomorrow in your classroom!
- Strategies to improve “working memory” for long term retention of math facts!
- Designing games for practice! Three designs that work every time!
- Using a RTI model for small group stations!
- Finish line! Questions and comments!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee, Pastries
- Door Prizes
- Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
1/2 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Creative Mathematics is an approved Texas CPE provider.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: Either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).