Teaching the Tough Topics
Number Sense, Fact Fluency, Fractions & Word Problemspresented by
Fee for the workshop is $215 (U.S.). Groups of 3 or more is $205 (U.S.) per person.
Lunch is included.
- Please check back for updated workshop information.
About this SeminarGreg Tang’s NEW workshop for K-6 teachers focuses on some of the toughest topics to teach: number sense, fact fluency, fractions, and word problems. Greg will show you firsthand the strategies, tools and activities he’s created to help students master the critical skills they need. In just one extraordinary day, Greg will make common sense of the Common Core and new state and provincial math standards. You’ll leave with:1. A stronger, more connected understanding of the key mathematical concepts underlying arithmetic and algebra.
2. A visual framework for teaching number and operations that develops fact fluency and a better understanding of fractions.
3. A graphical approach to problem solving that helps kids organize and solve word problems, and lays the groundwork for effective model drawing strategies.
4. A 1-year subscription to GregTangMath.com that provides access to Greg’s newest teaching materials and math centers.Greg Tang is well known for his groundbreaking approach to teaching math. He has done more than 1,500 workshops, conferences and school visits over the past decade, from his wildly popular sessions at NCTM and IRA conferences to his curriculum changing workshops for school districts. Greg is also a prolific author and inventor. His series of eight picture books from Scholastic includes the NY Times best seller The Grapes of Math. KAKOOMA®, his revolutionary iPad app, is redefining fact fluency and Greg’s latest project, GregTangMath.com, is proving to be the perfect supplement to school curriculums. Now, Greg is taking on the toughest but most important topics to teach. Join us for a workshop you can’t afford to miss. You’ll be inspired, enlightened and left wondering why math isn’t always taught this way!
Program Highlights:• Build Strong Computational Skills
Learn to use graphic models and number lines as powerful tools for:
– building number sense
– developing estimation skills
– teaching arithmetic algorithms
– transitioning kids to fractions• Develop Algebraic Thinking Skills
Learn to use concrete models to build abstract thinking skills – the key to the Common Core and higher math.• Strengthen Problem Solving Skills
Learn intuitive and highly effective model drawing strategies to solve word problems.• Expresso™ Math Materials
Develop strong mental math and computational skills while teaching Order of Operations.• Funny Number™ Activities
The critical bridge to traditional algorithms and the key to teaching measurement, time and fractions too.
• Missing Number & Place Value Games
Give kids the repetition and practice they need to master tough, new algebraic thinking standards.• FREE subscription to supplemental math program GregTangMath.com
You Will Learn To:• Use graphic models and number lines to build number sense and develop good estimation, computational and problem solving skills.• Transition students from whole numbers to fraction, first visually and concretely then abstractly and algebraically.• Teach and solve word problems using visual and model drawing strategies that organize information and build bridges to algebra.• Provide more intuitive explanations to your students as a result of your own deeper understanding of key mathematical concepts.Who should Attend?
All K-6 Classroom Teachers, Elementary Math Teachers, Resource Specialists and Curriculum Coordinators should attend.Cancellations / Substitutions
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.This Seminar Includes:
• Morning refreshments • Lunch • Door prizes • Resource handbookUniversity Credit
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or recertification.How to Register
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only). You may also mail your registration to: Creative Mathematics 4001 West End Rd. Arcata, CA 95521-9612.